Thursday, September 4, 2014

No More Chipped Nails!!

I have been super excited to write this particular blog post because I am absolutely OBSESSED and impressed (I know, I say this about everything) with Sally Hansen's Gel Polish Manucure Kit! Sally is my girl and she has got it right with this kit. 

Okay, before I get too excited, it is a bit on the pricey side. I know that may scare you away but if you're like me and you hate..no..LOATHE chipped nails, this is a kit for you! I love to paint my nails. I find it quite therapeutic and relaxing actually, but when I see a chip, especially if it's the next day or two, I get annoyed, antsy, and just re-do them. 

Because of this, I recently started getting gel manicures. You see, I cocktail waitress at a pretty upscale restaurant and how tacky would it be if I was serving this expensive food and drinks with my ratchet nails. Not cute and not very appetizing. Also, when your nails are on-point, it makes you feel pretty too. 

So these gel manicures were costing me about $35.00 every two to three weeks. (They were only lasting about a week anyway..) As I would watch the woman do my nails, I thought, "I could totally do this." So I did some research, read some reviews, and came across Sally's at-home gel kit. NOT THE STRIPS( I haven't tried those.) I buckled down and spent the $69.99 on a kit at Walgreens, only to see it on sale at Target for $45.00 like a week later. (Totally annoying..I know.) And came home and followed the easy step-by-step instructions.

So, it didn't look as great as Wone (my nail lady) does it, but of course, everything takes a little practice. I couldn't believe how long they lasted and how nice my nails looked. Not to mention, everyone thought I had got them done which was worth the cost to me right there. Although I spent 70 bucks on it, I have already done my nails about 6 times which would have cost me over $200! 

The only problem is with this "starter kit" it only comes with one color. So basically you're stuck with that color until you pay another $10.00 to buy another color you fancy. (Which is STILL cheaper than 35 bucks!)

When you buy the kit, this is what it comes with..


1. Base coat
2. Nail color
3. Top coat
4. 10 cleaner pads
5. Cuticle stick, nail file/buffer
6. Acetone remover
7. LED lamp.

It also comes with instructions. Now, I would walk you through step-by-step of how to complete the process but I'm pretty sure if you're reading this blog, you can read instructions, so I won't bore you ;)

Basically, you do base coat, lamp.
Nail color, lamp.
Top coat, lamp.

Just make sure you do THIN layers of each coat, otherwise the polish will be too thick and will peel off and won't last as long as you would like.

**SECRET TIP** the kit only comes with 10 cleaning pads, but I discovered that it's essentially just rubbing alcohol, so if you have some around the house, you can use that with a paper towel. (or something lint free) 

Removing the gels can be a bit of a pain. It says to apply the acetone to a cotton ball and wrap the cotton and piece of foil around your nails and let it soak until the color melts off. I don't do this and I actually just peel it off, which is probably bad for your nails, but I'm guessing soaking them in acetone isn't the best either :/



I didn't do such a great job the first time, but here is my nails after 8 days!! I kid-you-not! No chips yet!  This is my favorite color also, it's called "Pat on the Black"

I hope you get a chance to try this amazing kit!






Stay classy!
Xx,

No comments:

Post a Comment